• FTA

Get A Quote

LGV Training News


The Driver CPC Explained

As a HGV driver training school, we get asked a lot of questions by prospective drivers about the training, what they need to do, and which licenses are best to get. A lot of this depends on the career path you want to take, and we’re always happy to talk you through it and help you understand what you need. But the one thing we tell every single new driver they need is a Driver CPC qualification. Understandably, we get a lot of questions about this, so today we wanted to answer some of them, and give you an idea of what the Driver CPC is.

What is the Driver CPC? 

The Driver CPC is a qualification you need to hold before you can become a fully-licensed professional HGV driver. It stands for ‘Certificate of Professional Competence’, and shows that you understand the very basics of the profession, and that you are competent to be behind the wheel of an HGV. It also shows that you are adhering to government guidelines, and can actually be employed as a driver legally.

Why do I Have to do the Driver CPC?

This one’s easy – because you can’t work as a professional HGV driver without one! In 2009 the government passed the Driver CPC legislation, which was designed to ensure that all professional drivers would be subject to the same ongoing requirements for training and retraining. The idea behind this was to make sure that all drivers on the road are ‘singing from the same hymn sheet’ so to speak, and everyone has been trained within the same government guidelines. This keeps everyone safe. While there are some drivers who aren’t affected by the legislation (like people who driver for emergency services, the military and those who drive in the course of other duties, like scaffolding), the majority of drivers are, and will need the legislation.

How Much Does it Cost?

This is the question that’s most difficult to answer, because it depends on a few things. The training school you choose (who will all have their own preferred way of working out rates), the location you’re in (as prices can vary across the country), and the level of training you need (more on that in a moment). At The LGV Driver Training Centre, we offer competitive rates on all of our training options, as well as flexible timelines and varied license levels. We’re confident that we will be able to find a training solution for you that achieves the qualifications you need, within your budget.

Which Qualification do I Need?

Which training you need to do depends on one thing – when you passed your car test.

  • If you passed before Jan 1997: Then you are essentially grandfathered in, and simply need to complete 35 hours of perioding ongoing training every 5 years. You can also take the full Initial Driver CPC, which many new drivers do to make sure they are in a good place to start with further training. Since technology is developing quite quickly, many drivers find the refresher training a useful way to stay on top of things.
  • If you passed after Jan 1997: Then you’re starting completely from scratch, and need to go through the full Driver CPC Initial Qualification. This involves training in a classroom setting, where you will go through all elements of becoming a professional HGV driver, from health and safety to the highway code. It’s a critical part of becoming a driver, so you will need to pass the 2 modules that make up the qualification before you can start working on any other license type.

If you have a question about the Driver CPC that we haven’t answered here, or if you just want to know more about the process, our helpful advisers are always on hand to talk you through it. Just get in touch with us today, and we will gladly help you with your enquiries.

Recent Articles