Manoeuvring a busy city centre is no mean feat for a driver of any vehicle but an HGV comes with its own unique set of limitations when it comes to winding, busy, narrow roads. London roads specifically are under scrutiny by TfL (Transport for London) and DfT (the Departmet of Transport) who are proposing measures to establish an HGV task force with the responsibility to raise awareness of safety requirements for vehicles and drivers. The department will be tasked with taking action against the minority of drivers who fail to adhere to safety standards as well as cyclists who jump red lights and dangerously navigate the roads.
Pressing for improved safety standards on the roads for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians is always a top government concern as accidents in city streets are an all too common occurrence. Safety measures already include the need for a number of large vehicles to be fitted with safety equipment including sidebars or low skirts to protect vulnerable road users.
There are common practices we can all adhere to in order to make the roads a safer place such as:
• Leaving appropriate space at junctions and cycle advanced stop lines
• Being alert and actively aware of cyclists on the road, especially on the left side where collisions are more likely to occur
• Being aware of the size and power of your vehicle compared with other road users and cyclists
• Checking roads are clear before opening doors
• Looking out for pedestrians and cyclists even when your vehicle is stationary to ensure no one is weaving through the traffic
• Leaving ample indication time so other road users are aware of your intentions
The best thing you can do to ensure your own safety and the safety of other road users is to receive the best possible HGV driver training. Here at The LGV Training Company we provide second to none driver training and study materials so you can manoeuvre roads with safety and ease so if you’re interested in beginning a lucrative new career get in touch with us today on 0800 0744 007 to speak to a dedicated member of our team.