Hauliers could benefit from improved and expanded truck parking facilities in Kent after Kent County Council (KCC) launched a consultation into its Freight Action Plan for 2012 to 2016.
Some 87% of all LGVs heading to and from Europe use the county’s roads, and the plan identifies six key objectives to tackle:
- Find a long-term solution to Operation Stack;
- Tackle the problem of overnight lorry parking in Kent;
- Manage the routeing of LGVS;
- Address problems caused by freight traffic to communities;
- Ensure that KCC makes use of planning control powers to reduce impact of freight;
- Encourage sustainable distribution.KCC says it is currently carrying out feasibility studies for truckstops along the M20/A20 and M2/A2 corridors, and will look to work with the private sector to secure these sites.
The consultation is open until 23 July, with results revealed in October. To take part, visit: http://bit.ly/OpwcpL